St Peter & St Paul's Church
St Peter & St Paul's Church Barnham Broom with St Andrew Bickerstone
A history of St Peter & St Paul's Church by Derrick Clavey
This church was built in the first half of the 14th Century. The first recorded Rector was Ralf Bacon (1329-1332). Prior to this there was an earlier Anglo-Saxon church dedicated to St.Michael, which was situated to the north of the churchyard and probably demolished by 1347, when the livings of the two churches were joined in that year. The remains and position of this earlier church can still be detected, but as far as is known, the site has never been explored.
The tower was built in the first half of the 15th Century. Two of the bells date from medieval times, one being cast locally in Norwich. The tower was restored in 1850 and an additional window put in on the West side. Figures of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John originally formed pinnacles.
Like the tower, the nave and the chancel are built in the late medieval perpendicular style.
The interior of the church is noted for its fine rood-screen at the foot of which are twelve panels. Ten of these panels depict Saints and two are blank.
There is a 15th Century piscena on the South side of the nave and the church plate includes an Elizabethan chalice of 1567. On the North side of the church is a doorway to stairs which once existed to a rood loft above the screen.
The gallery was constructed in the reign of George III. At the same time the organ was moved from the chancel to the gallery.
The church was re-pewed about 1850. At one time a boiler was installed in the church and the large pipes of an early central heating system are still in evidence, and oil lamps stopped being used when electricity was installed in the 20th Century.
A memorial on the North side of the church records the names of the eight men of the village who gave their lives in the first World War. A board gives the names of the forty-four men who served in the forces in that conflict. On the South side of the church is a small wooden wall-door on which the names of those four men who died in the second World War are etched.
The church is open most days from morning to dusk. You are welcome to study the many features of architectural and historical interest. Seven-hundred years of Christian tradition reside here.
Churchwardens: Mrs D South & Mr A South 01603 759267
Contact: Barbara Worland 01603 759422